Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Tim Lucas interview

DVD Talk has posted an interview with Tim Lucas, noted film critic, the editor/publisher of Video Watchdog, an obsessive blogger, novelist and the author of a monumental, physically formidable biography Mario Bava: All the Colors of the Dark. Film historian Stuart Galbraith IV discusses with Lucas the challenges encountered during the period it took to write and self-publish his magnum opus, the state of film criticism in print and online, the possible death of the DVD format, and the conditions that an online film library would have to meet before Lucas could be convinced to relinquish his extensive film library.

I can't recommend Mario Bava: All the Colors of the Dark highly enough. It's a one of a kind work, a Proustian biography encompassing the history of Italian cinema as experienced through the life and work of an underrated "genre" director. As Lucas reveals, Bava was so much more - a highly skilled technician, respected cameraman, innovative special effects developer, an artisan, the list goes on. It is profusely illustrated with rare photos, stills and poster artwork. Truly a labor of love on behalf of Tim and Donna Lucas.

I bought my copy seven years ago, grumbling over the steep price of $100. After the book failed to materialize year after year due to Lucas' neverending research and, not surprising for a book of its dimensions, production problems, the running joke in my household was that Tim and Donna would crack under the pressure, run away to Mexico and live off the pre-order proceeds for the rest of their lives - we'd never see the finished product. On that fateful afternoon in September of this year when the Post Office finally delivered my copy, I almost cried as I carefully opened the box it was shipped in. The joy and excitement I experienced could only have been a small fraction of what Tim and Donna Lucas felt when seeing their baby for the first time, and finally having the opportunity to send it out to astonish the world.

If you get a chance to see the book, you'll realize early supporters got a heck of a deal. Copies now run $260 in the U.S ($290 throughout the rest of the world), and to my mind, it's well worth the price.

I will post a full review once I work my way through this monumental work - hopefully it won't take me as long to read it, as it took Lucas to write and publish it.

No comments: